Saturday, May 6, 2017

PTI MIM #283: Watercolor Wash Backgrounds

Laurie Schmidlin shared her first video for Papertrey Ink's Make It Monday, and she did a fabulous job. Her tips and tricks for creating a watercolor wash background were very helpful. Others always made it sound and look so easy. However, I don't think I've watched anyone watercolor and explain in such great detail why and how they do it until Laurie's tutorial. Even though my results aren't anywhere near as good as others, I know I just need to practice and let the watercolors and water do the work. This is what I created earlier today using Emboss Resist with watercolors. A few black splatters with popped up stars and a sentiment flag finished my card. 
 




Thanks for stopping by, and I really do appreciate your comments. 


Supplies: (all PTI unless noted)

Cardstock: Stamper's Select White
Ink: VersaFine Onyx Black and VersaMark
Stamps: Celebrate Big and What The Doodle: Piece of Cake
Dies: Sketched Stars and Sketched Shapes
Other: "Cheap" Watercolors, Paintbrush, White Embossing Powder, WOS Shimmer, and SU Dimensionals

10 comments:

Marlena M. said...

This turned out fantastic Kathy! I agree with you; Laurie's tutorial had wonderful tips to glean from. I hope Fed Ex stopped by your house!!! If not, then there's something to look forward to tomorrow~ :)

lainey said...

Kathy, this is fabulous, such a beautiful color combination! I love how you used Celebrate Big and the star dies together - what a perfect match! (I'm another user of cheap watercolors lol.)

A Cup of Cold Water said...

Kathy your card is AWESOME!!! I LOVE how you repeated your sentiment in color block fashion! The Sketched Stars add the perfect touch.

Marcia Hill said...

What a GREAT card Kathy! Love the colors and the layout...it's perfect!! :0)

Cindy Beach said...

Hi Kathy! Your colors and background make this pretty card so fun and festive! The big stars draw your eye across the card to the sentiment perfectly placed at the bottom. Great job!

A Cup of Cold Water said...

Awesome

TLady said...

SUPER JOB on this! ;) I LOOOVE Blues & Greens together! ;)

Helen F. said...

Fabulous card, Kathy! I really like how your watercolor background came out on this cool b-day card!

Greta said...

Very festive, Kathy! Love the wc resist with the sentiment stamping!

Juliana Michaels 17turtles said...

What a great design and great job on the watercolor background!