Tuesday, July 10, 2018

PTI MIM #328: Creating Shadow Backgrounds

This week it's Laurie Schmidlin's turn to host Make It Monday for Papertrey Ink. Details can be found here. She told us "it's a super easy technique" that she loves. Well, I didn't have a lot of time to ponder what stamps to use as I'm leaving town tomorrow for a week and didn't want to miss out on participating. Let's just say I'm not thrilled with my first one but do like the second one better. Why is it all the stamps I own never seem to fit the challenges presented? Anyone else feel that way? On with my cards. (I'm packed and ready to go so thought I'd try a totally different version of a "shadow" background using Americana ink for my third card.)





Supplies: (all PTI unless noted):
Cardstock: Soft Stone
Ink: Soft Stone, Tropical Teal and VersaFine Onyx Black
Stamps: What The Doodle: Feathers and Floral Sketches
Dies: What The Doodle: Feathers
Other: Black Watercolor (splatters), Black Sequins and Foam Tape

*****



Supplies: (all PTI unless noted):
Cardstock: Stamper's Select White
Ink: Lovely Lady, Autumn Rose, Scarlet Jewel, New Leaf and VersaFine Onyx Black
Stamps: Sentiment Staples: Birthday, Ways to Say: Birthday, Rosie Posie, Rosie Posie Step 2 and Gran's Garden
Dies: Noted: Scalloped A2 Vertical, Rosie Posie and Gran's Garden
Other: Ink Blending Tool, Stencil Basics: Dots and White Foam

*****



Thank you for stopping by, and I really do appreciate your comments!

Supplies: (all PTI unless noted):
Cardstock: Stamper's Select White
Ink: Americana, Orange Zest, Scarlet Jewel and VersaFine Onyx Black
Stamps: Painted Petals and Penned Elegance
Dies: Painted Petals
Other: SU Dimensionals and Gelly Roll Glitter Pen

10 comments:

Susan Watanabe said...

All three of your cards are wonderful and fit Laurir’s challenge!! I think we are all too critical on ourselves. Enjoy your trip (and vacation from challenges)!

Marlena M. said...

Fantastic cards~all three of them! Safe travels~

Kim Heggins said...

Fabulous cards....love them all!

A Cup of Cold Water said...

WOW Kathy!You were on a roll. This one is challenging for me, I do not color so I do not have many line images...You did a great job! They are all amazing!

Marcia Hill said...

They're all beautiful Kathy! I especially like the 2nd one where you used the sentiments for your background...very clever and a perfect background for that perfect flower from Rosie Posie! LOVE it!! :0)

lainey said...

Kathy, I like all three of your cards! The last one is different using the dark ink background. I guess we don't have to stick to using light colored ink - more options using this technique! Have a great trip!

Betty Wright said...

A lovely trio of cards! Great designs!

Helen F. said...

Kathy, all three of these cards are simply beautiful! I have a soft spot in my heart for Rosie Posie stamps and love your colorscheme on this one.
Safe Travels ~ hope you are going out of town on a pleasure trip.

Greta said...

Well, you ended up with 3 lovely cards, Kathy, but I know what you mean about having lots of stamps & not what you think would work best--haha! Just finished my entry & need to get it posted.

nancy said...

First, how did you have time to make three cards the day before you were going away for a week? I'd still be deciding what to pack! Hope you're having a great time.

I feel the same as you; the perfect stamp set for a challenge is always in the warehouse, not my house. You've managed to work around that, though. I really like how you used the sentiments as your shadow. They ground the flower and add meaning to the card. My favorite, though, is the third card with the darker shadows.